INSTITUTE OF HUNGARIAN RESEARCH
The main task of the Institute of Hungarian Research is to coordinate, evaluate and synthetize the research results of the different scientific disciplines at the highest possible degree of scientific quality.
The mission of the Institute is to conduct research into the past, language and origin of the Hungarian people, which has not been possible until now. The Institute that is under the control of the Government and the Ministry of Human Capacities started its operation on 1 January 2019.
The main objective of the Institute of Hungarian Research is coordinate, evaluate and synthetize the research results of the different scientific disciplines at the highest possible degree of scientific quality and level of probability.
The Institute plans to publish most of its research results online, but will also produce printed publications and organise conferences and events.
The Institute shall carry out the following tasks:
1. Interdisciplinary research on Hungarian history before the conquest and on the prehistory of the Hungarians,
2. research on the Steppe communities of the 5th - 9th centuries,
3. interdisciplinary research on the Hungarian conquest and the Hungarian Middle Ages,
4. historical-geographical landscape reconstruction of parts of the Eastern European region in the 8th to 10th centuries,
5. research on Hungarian and foreign, narrative and written archival sources from Hungarian history,
6. research on the history of religion
7. ethnographic and folk music research,
8. educational and training activities, participation in the development of cultural, religious and pilgrimage tourism,
9. to publish a journal in English and Hungarian,
10. archaeogenetic research,
11. to explore the place of early Hungarian history in the 21st-century Hungarian sense of identity,
12. to direct and monitor the preparation of a medium-term Hungarian language strategy,
13. to conduct research into the internal structure, characteristics and functioning of the Hungarian language, into its connections to our culture as a whole, and to apply the results from this research in public education,
14. to conduct research on the history of language and to encourage the development of linguistic data,
15. to coordinate the conscious development of diverse technical languages/ terminologies in the field of research on language structure and language use, to conduct comparative research into Hungarian terminology beyond the borders and in in the motherland, and to compile comparative terminological dictionaries,
16. to give expert opinions in questions of language policy for public administration and public media,
17. to participate in the development of the Hungarian language textbook programme, to develop its linguistic basis, in particular to develop child-friendly primary school language course books that develop native language skills brought from home, for the, and to synchronize their development with the Hungarian culture as a whole,
18. to conduct research into the situation of the Hungarian diaspora, Hungarian dialects, sociolects, language varieties beyond the borders, and linguistically related minorities,
19. to develop guidelines for the Government to counter the lack of planned language development of the Hungarian language,
20. to organise professional and international roundtable discussions, summer courses and - - especially for Hungarians living beyond the borders - summer universities, to co-organise language-cultural events in cooperation - within the scope of the given task - the competent bodies, organisations or higher education institutes of Hungary and the Carpathian Basin,
21. to organise research related to the survival of the Hungarian language in the digital, networked space,
22. to study, promote and develop programmes for translation, multilingualism and related localisation activities,
23. to promote activities which elicit conscious language use from speakers of Hungarian,
24. to care for the legacy and intellectual heritage of eminent researchers who made a lasting contribution to the tasks under points 1-23, and the digitisation of research material,
25. the historical presentation of the expression of Hungarian identity and patriotism of the previous centuries of Hungarian history,
26. to support traditional events, conferences, events, works, media, and
27. other tasks within the scope of its activities as determined by the Government in a normative decision.